Emotional connection is the bond that makes a marriage work. Both husband and wife should keep this flame alive in order to survive all the challenges that life throws at you as a couple.
If this bond breaks, it is only a matter of time before one of you head out of the door and leaves.
There are different kinds of infidelity that can happen in a relationship, and not all of them are physical in nature. Emotional infidelity can be just as dangerous.
It happens when the emotional connection between you and your spouse is severed, and you start sharing your innermost thoughts and feelings with another person.
It is mostly a subconscious thing. You start having lunch with this guy at work and you enjoy his funny jokes. He’s real charming and most of all, he actually listens to you 100 percent of the time.
Occasionally, you would stop by his cubicle on your way to the restroom to have one of those endless innocent banters with him.
Most people claim it’s platonic, but what they don’t realize is that it takes away from their primary relationship with their spouse.
Although there is no sex involved, the mere fact that you are opening up your deepest thoughts and feelings to another person instead of your husband is what constitutes infidelity. Sooner or later, communication would become so stale that the marriage will begin to fall apart.
What are the signs that you are becoming an emotional cheater?
• You hold back your true feelings when you’re with your spouse. You want to keep them for yourself and avoid sharing them with him.
• You enjoy talking with your friend but you are bored to your skull when talking with your spouse.
• You spend the day all perky and lively with your friend but come home tired and sleepy, unable to commit to some quality time with your spouse.
• You always look forward to meeting your friend and having a conversation with him.
• You’re not interested in having sex with your spouse anymore. And when you let him through, your mind is occupied with thoughts of the other person instead of your husband who’s busy working himself on top of you right now.
• When at work, the thought of your spouse rarely crosses your mind because you’re dazzled with what’s in front of you.
When you have committed emotional infidelity, it is difficult to make things right once again. It’s a life’s work, something would require your utmost dedication to the marriage.
The first step in fixing things up is to acknowledge that you have blurred the lines between friendship and romantic involvement. Do not sugarcoat your actions. Admit your mistakes and try to keep your head straight.
Start seeing your spouse in a different light. He is a human being that needs to be respected. Focus your thoughts on his good qualities and spend quality time with him.
When you see your friend at work, acknowledge him but change the dynamic of your relationship with him from this point on.
Incoming search terms:
- infidelity definition